From: Marek Hajduczenia [mailto:marek.hajduczenia@xxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2013 12:43 PM
To: Avi Kliger; STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [STDS-802-3-EPOC] PLC FEC presentation

Avi,

Just one general comment - when we started the PLC discussions, the whole concept was focused on a low-latency, low complexity channel that requires no FEC, no interleaver and no fireworks to make it work under the worst conditions. As we go along the path, I see more and more often FEC being added to the mix. I understand we need margins to work effectively, but now we are talking about a data link channel that is becoming increasingly complex just to guarantee that we can exchange the ~1 Mbit/s worth of data. The question then becomes. Can we come up with something different, that does not require bidirectional communication prior to establishment of MAC link and skip all the inherent complexity of adding FEC into PLC?

I am concerned that at the end we will have a similar level of complexity in the PLC link as well as the main MAC link, making the whole idea of PLC just unattractive to start with. Then it is just simpler to start the whole MAC at a lower rate to begin with and forget about PLC altogether.

Marek