From: Marek Hajduczenia [mailto:marek.hajduczenia@xxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2013 12:11 AM
To: Ed (Edward) Boyd; STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [STDS-802-3-EPOC] PHY Link Ad Hoc Notes

Ed,

The lack of good practice is not an excuse for no such practice. I have an issue with people showing up at the meeting and presenting material out of the blue. First, we spent lots of time analyzing the material on the call, that could be spent better discussing how the given presentation adds (or not) to the work we have to do. Second, for the F2F meetings, we have requirements to submit in advance to let people examine the materials in advance and become prepared for discussion. It is just bad practice to surprise people on the call, especially when we are expected to take decisions. It has been preached over and over again that the foundation of good progress is consensus building - hard to do that when you see material on the call for the first time.

[Ed] I'm not sure what to say.  The ad hoc is a forum for discussion and I'm open to people presenting new ideas at the last second.  In all cases, the decision will be made at a future meeting and people have an opportunity to work on other proposals.  If you want to make a procedural change for all of the ad hocs, I recommend that we discuss and have a motion at the next meeting.

My main goal for the proposal was not strictly adhering to motions but to design something reliable. Something that has a standing chance to work versus a bunch of motions passed without much foundation behind them.  But let's deconstruct your email in more detail.

[Ed] The motions are solid and make sense.  They were voted on by the group with a strong consensus.   I strong disagree with your statement above.

1)      Your concern is that SFD should be part of the preamble and outside of the FEC protection. However, that will make it vulnerable to bit errors and potential frame misalignment. Knowing nothing of FEC so far (apart that we will have FEC), there is no way to asses probability of such an event actually taking place, and hence establishing whether you can do that or not. I am not too attached to SFD at this position, though, so if it is proven that SFD can be outside of the FEC protection, I am willing to accept that. However, I need to see numbers to prove just that. Faith does not work here.
I think the best way forward in here is to compare SFD location within or outside the FEC protected area. If either one has accepted frame alignment performance, then we can go either way. But choosing just based on faith is not the right way to go.

[Ed] This doesn't make sense to me.  The Preamble with SFD allows you to determine the start of the FEC block.  You wouldn't use the FEC to correct bit errors in the preamble/SFD.  We are requesting proposals for the preamble.  I don't think that anyone is suggesting faith.  We need a preamble to find the PLC.  Once we are locked on, the start of frame and FEC block is known.

2)      Configuration ID as you mentioned was not accepted at this time and as such, I did not want to deal with it this time. I believe, though, it can be dealt as a new TALV type without any problems. The structure is extensible without any problems.

[Ed] I agree.  It can be added.

3)      FEC has been decided, indeed, though without any additional details (what type, what payload rate etc. is largely missing). Until it is proven that FEC alone can give you MTTFPA equal to or better than the age of the Universe, I move you will need good CRC to prevent false packet acceptance events, which can be disastrous for larger PLC frames carrying plenty of register data. It is not a matter what occupies more or less bandwidth, but a matter of statistics and bit error calculations. Before we take such a decision, we need to (a) know details about the proposed FEC, and (b) calculate MTTFPA for this link and (c) only then decide that we do not need CRC. In the lack of evidence otherwise, I assume CRC is needed to guarantee PLC reliability. I would further move that any proposals for FEC without bit error calculations are not moving us in the right direction and choosing FEC type based on bandwidth overhead is just the wrong way to go.

[Ed] I don't disagree in general.  We have proposals on FEC coming and I think that we should consider CRC at the same time.  The total overhead for FEC+CRC should be evaluated for error correction/detection performance.

4)      Yes, I was against repeating read/write requests as you presented it and I still am. I was not against the concept in general - please do not misrepresent the position I presented at the last meeting. The format I suggest has been already tested in OAM and works just great as long as FEC and CRC do their job right. If you compare both proposals, you'll see differences in how addresses and read/write requests are lumped together (I did not have time to draw hundreds of examples to show all possibilities).
Also, I would be very happy to drop it (read / write sequences) altogether and just do things as OAM does - one managed object at the time. That is the most resilient approach and I would be happy if we agreed on this approach

[Ed] It would be great if you could highlight the differences on Wednesday.  It is not clear to me and it seems very different than the OAM format.

5)      About the bandwidth usage itself: let's not try to save bits on this data channel in the name of saving bits, and for two reasons: (a) we added FEC into it without any evidence that it will be really needed (I did not hear your concerns about bandwidth waste then), (b) we have plenty of bandwidth to go in this channel. We do not have to compete with user data for access, and it is always available. Sending 1.1 Mbit/s worth of data versus 1.0 Mbit/s of data and having extra reliability will pay off in the longer run - the PLC link has to be available (as you emphasized many times) or there is no EPoC at all.
We are not bandwidth pressed in PLC and what I am suggesting does not multiply bandwidth demand. I am truly baffled by this notion of concerns about bandwidth usage when we do not know how much register data we will have to transfer (our best estimates are nothing more than guesses, nobody really knows this early in the process) and we have apparently agreed on quite a generous PLC channel size, allowing us to establish quite a large data pipe to CNUs. So I do not buy this argument

[Ed] I don't agree with this paragraph.  We selected a FEC so that we could correct errors and provide burst error correction.  A CRC would only detect errors and we decided that we wanted to survive burst errors.  We will determine the cost (number of bits) versus performance (better SNR and burst protection) when we select the FEC.  Some think that we have enough bandwidth and others believe that it is tight.  I want to get the most out of what we have.  I think that it is enough bandwidth if we have an efficient format.  I don't see any additional reliability in your format proposal or any advantage.  Please point out the advantages on Wednesday so the bytes have value.

In general, I am very much concerned with the fixed-size frame format that seems to be behind your proposals so far. It seems to me ATM all over again, with all of its pros and cons and I would like to understand what is so attractive in a fixed-sized frame format, with bunch of noops in the middle and how it saves us bandwidth on PLC link versus what I propose ...

[Ed] I don't understand this paragraph.  I have not proposed a fixed size frame or anything like ATM.  I'm not against a fixed size frame and I would be happy to see it work since it would be simpler.  The FEC block size detection is much easier and we don't need a post-amble.  I don't see anything in your proposal that addresses this issue.  The Duane/Hesham/Ed proposal was a single slide on a variable instruction format to configure a remote PHY.  You argued that the variable size instruction was not reliable.  To address your issues with reliability, Qualcomm suggested a fixed format. I don't think that they suggested ATM.

Looking forward to more discussion on individual items.

Regards

Marek