From: Geoff Thompson [mailto:thompson@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2013 11:02 AM
To: Victor Blake
Cc: STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-3-EPOC] Link Ad Hoc Notes

Victor-

You are trying to attribute things to my statement that aren't there.

I have not said, nor would I say that two way communication on coax is (a)
not useful, (b) more useful than one way communication.  Also, it is
certainly true that 2-way coax data communication has been around for a long
time, even in an integrated broadband sense.  See clause 11 of 802.3 for an
example.

That does not mean that one way communication systems have not existed and
been economically viable, they have.  One major example was called cable TV.
I had such a service at my residence as recently as a year ago supplied as a
revenue service by a major participant in this standards effort. Therefore
your argument that it is "not useful" is non-sensical. Even if the fact that
it is substantially less useful is true (and it is).  Even if it is true
that a one way system by itself would not be worthy of a standard (also
true).

My point was only that including a minimal one-way downstream capability is
useful for diagnostic reasons.  You may disagree with me, but you would be
wrong.

Geoff