From:  "Shellhammer, Steve" <sshellha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:52 PM
To:  Edwin Mallette <edwin.mallette@xxxxxxxxx>,
"STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  RE: [STDS-802-3-EPOC] Definition of Exclusion Subband

Ed,

               I think the term ³null subcarrier² has also been used a lot,
and we probably should consider a definition for it, if we are going to use
it also.

               I have seen two usages of the term ³null subcarrier² and I am
not sure if we can a common understanding

·       A subcarrier configured to be unmodulated and its QAM value set to
zero (consistent with Exclusion subband definition)

·       A subcarrier that carries no information (as in bit loading) and can
change based on channel conditions.  Checking channel conditions may require
sending a non-zero QAM value on this subcarrier (inconsistent with Exclusion
subband)

Hope that helps.  Something we can also discuss on the call.

Steve