[STDS-802-3-EPOC] Missing items in EPoC PCS

Dear colleagues,

At the last meeting, I presented the initial version of the outline for the
EPoC PCS Clause 101 (see attached), with a number of headers already in
place. Over the last few days, I have distributed a few baseline proposals
for specific sections, addressing the missing description and associated
state diagrams. However, a number of features are still missing either
technical decisions, or at least some initial proposals for discussion. The
list of such topics is summarized below:

-          FEC encoder and FEC decoder (definition of what type of FEC we
use, description of encoding and decoding processes, as well as any
associated details on collection of 66-bit vectors, truncation of Sync
Headers, generation of parity, etc.)

-          Data Detector in the CNU and CLT (at least, we need to take a
look whether 10G-EPON data detector works fine and if not, what needs to be
changed to fit EPoC)

-          Gearbox in the transmit direction ? can we reuse gearbox defined
in 10GBASE-R PCS (49.2.7) without any additional changes, or a new gearbox
would be needed to adapt to PMD specific interfaces?

-          PMA definition (how many lanes in what direction will be used,
what signals will be carried, etc.)

-          Scrambler / Interleaver ? which one to use, what specific
functions will be played by this functional block; descriptive text and
associated state diagrams would be most welcome. In 10G-EPON, we reused
10GBASE-R PCS scrambler (49.2.6)

-          Synchronizer for CLT and CNU ? describing how the specific
station hunts for the FEC code-words and locates them. I believe there is
already some work ongoing under the PLC ad-hoc that has the potential to fit
perfectly into the this area, but more formal contribution would be needed,
with descriptive text and associated state diagrams.

-          BER monitor ? in our case, it might be a FER monitor, allowing to
track the error performance metrics and provide feedback on the data stream
quality. At  this time, I have not seen any discussions on this function,
let alone contributions associated with it.

We also have two subclauses which have not attracted a lot of attention,
i.e., subclause on power saving capabilities, as well as time sync
capabilities. I assume these will be handled later, when the most critical
areas of PCS have been developed and we move to plug in the missing holes.

If you plan to contribute in any of the areas listed above, please contact
me offline to work out together the best format for the contribution,
allowing me to minimize work rolling in material into the draft (if approved
by the Task Force). Also, please remember that we are contributions-driven ?
please take a look at Duane?s presentation from the last meeting on DOs and
DONTs (http://www.ieee802.org/3/bn/public/mar13/remein_3bn_03_0313.pdf)

Regards

Marek Hajduczenia, PhD

ZTE Portugal
Standard Development and Industry Relations
Edifício Amoreiras Plaza,
Rua Carlos Alberto da Mota Pinto, nr. 9 - 6 A,
1070-374 Lisbon, Portugal

Office: +351 213 700 090
Fax: + 351 213 813 349
Mobile: +351 961 121 851 (Portugal)