[STDS-802-3-EPOC] Announcement of ePoll tool trial for P802.3bn

Dear IEEE P802.3bn EPoC PHY Task Force participants,

I am introducing the trial of an "ePoll tool" by way of this email, that will commence later today.

Background:
Our sub-groups need a mechanism for bringing their early consensus out to the broader forum of the EPoC Task Force for consideration.  This ePoll tool is the trial of a mechanism to help socialize a sub-group's technical recommendation(s) prior to a Task Force face-to-face meeting.  For example, the RF Spectrum ad hoc committee would like to get broader socialization on two straw poll questions with the intent of bringing these forward as formal motions at this next meeting.  They have requested taking these to the Task Force.  Look for two separate emails later today announcing the availability of the polls.  As part of this trial, there may be polls from other sub-groups before the next face-to-face.  Later, we'll decide if this is a useful utility for continuing use for ad hoc socialization.

This tool provides a mechanism that models the style we use (as best as possible) of taking an unofficial non-binding straw poll during a face-to-face meeting in order to help sample consensus.  Depending on the question, answer selection will be either single or multiple ("Chicago"-style) choice. A poll will have a closing time between two and three business days after announcement.  Shortly after the closing time of the poll, the results will be automatically tabulated and the results sent to the reflector which include the vote tallys as well as a csv file contain voting summary and any comments optionally entered by each voter.  Some polls may show tallied results for both "everyone" as well as "802.3 voting members" as an option.

Note that to avoid too many polls or unsolicited polling to the over 300 members of this reflector, my intent is to only use this tool when an ad hoc committee or sub-task force has reached a documented internal consensus and desires to socialize one or more questions out to the broader Task Force.

Requirements:
Standard web browser, no special needs.  Support of cookies from the site will permit remembering your full name and email address for future polls. Access to the poll will require the same user name (login) and password as required for the EPoC home page private area.

NOTE:  members of the EPoC email reflector are permitted to have access to the private area.  Anyone who does not have the access information must contact me directly via email and request the access credentials.  And as usual, we ask that this credential information not be given to anyone else, it is for use by the individual participant.

A little bit about the tool:
I wrote it, so all feedback, comments, enhancement requests can go directly to me. The tool runs on a non-IEEE server of mine at this time.  The tool has been reviewed by David Law (and others) and the concept discussed with IEEE IT for use within our working group as our own local tool.

Yours truly,
Mark Laubach, Chair
IEEE P802.3bn EPoC PHY Task Force

Broadband Communications Group