[STDS-802-3-EPOC] Structure of Cl 100 & 102

Your Editors have been discussing the structure of the draft, in particular where to put the PMA layer material.
In most 802.3 clauses the split is RS/PSC & PMA in one clause and the PMD in a separate clause. However this may be reflective of the Optical nature (or perhaps more precisely the NRZ nature) of most 802.3 PHYs. There is also much historical precedence for this structure and I would be remise I didn't mention tendencies to split functionality into separate physical IC devices,
However, there is an exception to this; Clause 62, which is the only OFDM based PHY currently standardized in 802.3, used a different structure. CL 62 addresses the PMA and PMD while Cl  61 covered the PCS (and TC layer, but that is because so much material for this copper PHY was borrowed from ITU specifications). I am wondering if this makes more sense for an OFDM(A) based PHY given that the FEC is so closely tied to the modulation (IFFT/FFT) scheme. It might simplify the interface descriptions for PCS/PMA and PMA/PMD that we will need to define in our spec.
I would like some of our OFDM experts to comments on this topic. Certainly everyone is invited to comment (in fact I've personally addressed a few long standing 802.3 members who might have opinions on this topic) but I'm really looking for technical reasons to go one way or another.
Best Regards,
Duane

FutureWei Technologies Inc.
duane.remein@xxxxxxxxxx