Re: [STDS-802-3-EPOC] PHY Link ad hoc call tomorrow (Wednesday) 10am Pacific

Duane,

Before we get into the weeds of how to do it, perhaps we need to figure out
what we are trying to do (whether we are trying to provide PHY sync, or
synchronization for upper layers) and whether that puts us on a "collision
course" with the scope of 802.1AS, that is approved and in force. Unless
there is something broken with 802.1AS, I would think that we are kind of
providing an alternative to that solution. It is like providing an
alternative bridging standard within 802.3. That is something that 802.1
does.

Anyway, I would like to better understand what the problem with 802.1AS is
and how we can solve it, rather than trying to jump to the phase of working
on a solution to a problem that has not been yet demonstrated. Perhaps
instead of venturing on this task, we ought to simply indicate to 802.1AS
folks what is broken with their system that it might not work correctly on
our new PHY and cooperate with them on the currently open revision of
802.1AS to make it work right.

The development stage, register sizes, and the likes come then, after we've
better understood what the problem is and why what is currently available
does not work for us.

Regards

Marek