Re: [STDS-802-3-EPOC] Any presentations for tomorrow's scheduled PHY Sub-Group Conference Call?

Duane,

Thank you for putting these together, I have a few comments, though.

All comments below are on
http://www.ieee802.org/3/bn/private/Drafts/D0.3/Comments/remein_3bn_04_0114.
pdf, since I understand that the other presentation is merely an overview:

====================================

Register 1.4: there is nothing complex here IMO, we just create a new
register 1.4.10 (now reserved) with  definition as follows:

1.4.10 | 10GBASE-XR capable | 1 = PMA/PMD is capable of operating as
10GBASE-XR          | RO

                                                               0 = PMA/PMD
is not capable of operating as 10GBASE-XR

Note that I copied it diligently from 2BASE-TL definition, which is also (I
believe) a variable rate PHY.

====================================

Table 45-7 as shown in your contribution is not the latest version of this
register. This is what it looks like with the latest amendments in place.
This accounts for P802.3bk, P802.3bj, and P802.3bm projects:

I suggest we reserve at least 4 register positions, under the assumption
that TDD and FDD PHYs will be labelled separately for downstream and
upstream. Given where the register position is right now, we get the
privilege of opening the 11xxxx block. I suggest we reserve the following
bit combinations:

110000 - 10GBASE-XRF-D

110001 - 10GBASE-XRT-D

110010 - 10GBASE-XRF-U

110011 - 10GBASE-XRT-U

110100 onwards remain reserved

====================================

Register 1.11 - unless it is clearly defined what these "extended abilities"
are, I do not see much need to touch Register 1.11. We do not extend generic
PHY or PCS, we rather build it anew. Note that for EPoC, we should ride on
the definition of 1.11.9 "P2MP ability" and then extend register 1.12
accordingly. You seem to have omitted that option altogether for some
reason.

I would suggest we leave 1.11 as it is right now, and modify register 1.12
to add a new register as such:

| 1.12.11 | EPoC ability | 1 = PMA/PMD is able to perform 10GBASE-XR    | XR

                                                  0 = PMA/PMD is not able to
perform 10GBASE-XR

And if needed, later on we create a new ability register dedicated to EPoC,
referenced from 1.12.11. That way, we are also prepared for NG-EPON in the
future. There is not enough space in 1.12.xx to continue to expand it much
further, unless we want to grow register size and read it together with some
other register (I would not mind that option either). This is also where
your Register 1.16 could come into play .

====================================

Register 1.110 - given that we have free registers 1.17 up to 1.32 and could
also create a separate section just for EPoC, is there any specific reason
why you picked 1.100 for this control register? The location is a bit
strange - now it would be located immediately after a block of 2B extended
PMD parameters and right before 10GBASE-T.

Register 1.110.1 - it is not clear what it means: "PHY is registered on the
COAX network" - does it mean that the PHY was seen by PLC? If that is a
case, there should be a separate PLC status register - clumping a bunch of
registers together is rather strange.

Note that 45.2.1.60a.1, 45.2.1.60a.2, and 45.2.1.60a.3 have the same
register number (1.110.4).

In 45.2.1.60a.5, there is wrong register name "TPHY" ?

====================================

Some of the propose tables have RO and RW registers, yet the definition
under the table indicates "RO - Read only". Probably an oversight . for
example, look at table in Register 1.111

====================================

I suggest that register 1.111 be called "Downstream control register" and
respectively, register 1.112 - "Upstream control register". Register 1, 2, 3
are meaningless .

====================================

45.2.1.60c.2, 45.2.1.60c.3 have wrong name - rather than "DS" these should
be "US" since register 1.112 covers upstream transmission channel.

====================================

Please scrub the document carefully, since you have plenty of typos,
incorrect references (seem to have been modified by hand, e.g., page 7, line
9). Some cross references are hooked to a wrong table.

====================================

I have an issue with the number of options being introduced through register
45.2.1.60c.2 and similar ones - I have stated it before and I will restate
it again. Each configuration option effectively doubles the testing time for
compliant equipment, which increases cost. At this time, I would suggest we
focus on narrowing down options to the minimum required and not embedding
ton of optionality in register definitions.

Regards

Marek Hajduczenia, PhD
Network Architect, Principal Engineer
Bright House Networks