Re: [STDS-802-3-EPOC] Any presentations for Wednesday's scheduled PHY Sub-Group Conference Call?

Ed,

In all honesty, I look at your presentation and I am getting really lost in
all options and conclusions being drawn. Is it just me, or we are just
overdoing it on the side of options and optimizations? What's wrong with
picking just medium FEC codeword and allowing for codeword truncation at
the end? The decoding process should be fairly easy, since it would be
driven by either full FEC codeword or end of burst marker sequence. It does
not seem to affect negatively SNR and decoder latency and at the same time
we avoid all the complexity of options, filling algorithms and assumptions
that the CLT has to make to calculate the size of the grant to accommodate
reported data.

I feel that we are driven to decide based only on the very noble, but yet
completely impractical notion of very high efficiency. Ethernet has been
always about low cost and robustness and not perfect efficiency. I
understand the need to use the spectrum resource efficiently, but after a
certain efficiency point, cramming more bits into the channel incrementally
increases the overall system cost, its complexity and decreases its
robustness.

My suggestion is therefore simple: pick medium FEC codeword we have defined
right now, allow for codeword truncation and move on.

Regards

Marek