From: Hugh Barrass [mailto:hbarrass@cisco.com]
Sent: Friday, September 03, 2004 9:25 AM
To: Kevin Daines
Cc: STDS-802-3-FE@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [FE] Frame size poll

Kevin,

As a hardware designer, my first pick was 2) however I have designed a
number of switch fabrics in various organizations and I have also looked
closely at many others and the 2048 number may pose a problem for some
equipment or architectures. Many shared memory architectures use tags
that are stored along with the frames therefore a frame size of 2048
would mean that the storage quanta would be just over 2k - a "bad"
number. Given that this may be an "architectural" feature rather than an
implementation, it would act as an impediment to rapid development of
compliant solutions using those architectures.

As a result, I would support 1) or 3) with any number up to 2000 (an
arbitrary value, less than 2k). Note, however, that I haven't consulted
any colleagues on this so I cannot say that this response would be
favorable with others in my team.

Hugh.