Re: [FE] Frame size poll

Kevin,

Before everyone gets too excited...

I'm not sure whether there would be a universally acceptable number for
the "tag overhead." Developers and designers would be well advised to
look carefully at their favorite architectures and see what the "good"
number would be for them. I would also hope that the group as a whole
would take a tolerant attitude and would adopt a number that is
universally palatable rather than going for the number that can reach
75% at the expense of 25% misery.

Secondly, I was looking at this from an architectural point of view. An
architecture may be capable of supporting a frame size increase to 2000
bytes seamlessly but this does not imply that currently implemented
systems will be able to. I expect that a number of people would prefer
to see an increase that doesn't obsolete currently operating systems.
This would most likely lead to a much smaller number (1522 bytes seems
good :-). I haven't done any research into what number would give
reasonable coverage of existing systems or whether this requirement is
even reasonable.

That said, 2000 is a very round number.

Hugh.