Re: [HSSG] MAC Data Rate of Operation Objective

Menachem-

At 07:29 PM 8/14/2006 , Menachem Abraham wrote:
Geoff and proponents of "B",

1. Do you envision compatibility with telecom long haul systems as one of the objectives?
   (E.g. OC-192, OC-768, DWDM channel spacing)

Seems like it may come to pass.
Certainly it is an appropriate topic for Criteria Big Triad (BMP, EF, TF) discussions

2. IEEE 802.3 standards were successful in the market to a large extent due to their simplicity.
   Any concerns about the complexity that this approach would have?

As opposed to what?
The market for 1000BASE-T doesn't seem hindered at this point by its complexity.
It's complexity is the responsibility of the implementor and compat/conformance testers.
It's complexity in multiple laneing is masked by 4-pair media and connectors
This will be a standard for professional installation, so it can stand a little more complexity than my examples but I don't see it as a major impediment.

3. Do you envision, for example, vendor X implementing products that go up to 80G and vendor Y up to 120G and when connected to each other auto-negotiation will make them interwork?
I am concerned about the user reaction to these degrees of freedom.

These are the areas we need to study and make judgement calls as to relative and cross [BMP, EF, TF]. I have concerns but I think we can handle them in a reasonable manner. I don't think it is inherently any worse than hooking a 100 M cu port to a Gig cu port and our market should be able to handle mismatches better than our pure amateur users.

Geoff

Regards,
Menachem
Menachem Abraham