Re: [HSSG] Reach Objectives

I agree with Geoff.  As mentioned, the 802.3an task force worked very hard to achieve the 100m reach.  The 10GBASE-T 100m reach was driven by the horizontal cabling specification, not what the typical deployment was in a data center.

Cheers,
Brad

From: Geoff Thompson [mailto:gthompso@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 8:55 AM
To: STDS-802-3-HSSG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [HSSG] Reach Objectives

Roger-

At 03:47 AM 8/22/2006 , Roger Merel wrote:

Agree with Drew.  Have a few additional comments on other reachs:

For reach objectives, we should start with customer based needs (for broad market potential) and only amend if an obvious technical limitation with compelling economics can t readily meet the broad customer need.

Specifically:

- Long Reach probably should be set at 80km rather than 100km (as this is the common hut-to-hut amplifier spacing in telecom)

- While 50m does serve a useful portion of the market (smaller datacenters and/or the size of a large computer cluster), it is somewhat constraining as I ve been lead to understand that the reach needed in larger datacenters is continuing to out-grow the 100m meter definition but the 100m definition at least serves the customer well.  Certainly 10G-BaseT worked awfully hard to get to 100m (for Datacenter interconnect).

I wouldn't attach a lot of creedence to the 10GBASE-T goal for 100 meters. It was, I believe, mainly driven by the traditional distance in horizontal (i.e. wiring closet to desktop) distances rather than any thorough examination of data center requirements.

Geoff

- For both in-building reaches (50m & 300m; or 100m & 300m), the bigger issue which affects the PMD is the loss budget arising from the number of patch panels.  The shorter / datacenter reach should include a budget for 1 patch panel.  The longer / enterprise reach should include a budget for 2 patch panels (one in the datacenter and 1 in the remote switch closet).