From: John DAmbrosia [mailto:jdambrosia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 26 August 2006 13:23
To: DAWE,PIERS
Cc: STDS-802-3-HSSG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Definition of study group's scope RE: re LAGs just have an unfortunate statistical problem designed in...

Piers,

Thank you for pointing out that I left this aspect out of my response.  The motion forming the SG was:

"Move the IEEE 802.3 Working Group requests formation of a "Higher Speed Study Group" to evaluate definition of greater than 10 Gb/s MAC data rate and related PHY capability to IEEE Std 802.3.  The Study Group may recommend one or more PARs."

Please note that there is no mention of doing anything with LAG.  As I noted in my previous response, we noted some of the issues with LAG, but did not indicate anything that implied we would be looking at fixing LAG.  This is similar to a previous reflector conversation regarding the group looking at jumbo frames.  I think the way Geoff responded on that issue is appropriate for this issue as well -

"A decision to support an project that mandates support of jumbo frames would, in my opinion, take the study group into a quagmire. This would be an effort towards a goal that was not even mentioned in the Call For Interest nor mentioned in the discussion leading up to the vote on forming the Study Group.

To go here would, I believe, be a betrayal of the trust laid on the group by 802.3."

I apologize for any confusion this omission may have caused, and will strive to be precise in my communications.

John