Re: [HSSG] Higher speed trade offs

Stephen,

Regarding the FEC & latency - a FEC that is designed to exploit the
transverse dimension (i.e. correlation between channels) would not need
to add significant latency. The FEC block size (or equivalent) need only
be the same order as the maximum skew between the channels. This will
govern the minimum latency for a non-FEC channel in any case. At its
simplest, a Trellis code could be applied across the channels with an
additional latency of ~ 1 code block. A cleverly designed maximum
likelihood code (is anybody in Alberta or Cork working on that? :-)
could offer similar gain with lower overhead. In particular, the optical
channel with binary signaling offers a much smaller problem matrix than
1000BASE-T multi-level FEXT/NEXT channels.

The processing overhead is largely dependent on the amount of state and
to a first approximation would scale with latency.

Hugh.