Re: [HSSG] Higher speed trade offs

Andrew,

I had a look at a couple of your papers, for example the PTL paper from
February 2005, but to be frank I am not sure what the potential benefits are
with this technique. You claim an increase in the spectral density but that
could be achieved more easily with other techniques, in my eyes, for example
by choosing an appropriate modulation format (e.g. DQPSK). To do phase
stabilization on a scale of a fraction of an optical wavelength with multiple
wavelengths at the same time sounds like a nightmare to me. I expect to end up
in some nasty beating terms and heavy power fluctuations if the phase stabilization
is having a problem. The simulated eyes you show on page 505 also look not
terribly convincing.

As I said, I don't see the great benefits but rather a tremendous complexity.
If you decide, for example, on DQPSK you will achieve spectral densities
>1 b/s/Hz and the complexity to achieve that seems by far less.

Maybe you should consider a presentation at the HSSG meetings
in order to show and explain that approach a little further.

Marcus

Ellis, Andrew wrote:

Roger,

Some brief comments which I hope address some of your points below:

The term Coherent is intentional, but does not refer to coherent detection at the receiver, rather coherent addition of the WDM channels at the transmitter.

Thank you for your note regarding IP bylaws.

Coherent WDM does indeed require multiplexing and demultiplexing optics, in common with any WDM solution. However, within the transmitter, the WDM component is used to process continuous wave signals, and so dispersion is less of an issue. At the receiver, standard WDM components are used, with additional complexity compared to a traditional WDM system. The implications of a tighter channel spacing are compensated for the fact that one wavelength tuning operation (if necessary) gives the correct filter position for all 10 (in a 10 x 10 Gb system) wavelengths. So, to first order, I do not believe that the optical components for Coherent WDM would be particularly more expensive than for a WDM solution.

We have a solution for the MWS which provides arbitrary channel uniformity with good power efficiency, based on a single standard continuous wave laser source. An optical amplifier is indeed currently used between the MWS and the modulator array however, this may not always be necessary, firstly depending on reach and receiver sensitivities, and secondly based on refinements currently under investigation which eliminate the problem.

For the multiplexing, I think you already have the bones of the idea. You split the MWS into separate channels, each individually modulated. When recombining them however, you ensure that the optical phases and data delays are controlled to within a reasonable accuracy. This is the key aspect.  At the receiver, spectral overlap indeed occurs, however, considering that an interfering channel is effectively high pass filtered by the WDM demultiplexer (only the high frequency components are passed) the resulting interference is in the form of return to zero like pulses. Given that the signals originated from a single transmitter, with a common clock frequency, these RZ interference pulses may be aligned to the bit crossing of the demultiplexed channel, where they have negligible impact. Whilst this surely reduces the phase margin of the receiver slightly, it has enabled transmission of WDM signals with an information spectral density of 1 b/s/Hz with a data rate per wavelength of 42 Gbit/s. 10 Gb/s at 10 GHz should therefore be possible.

A more polished explanation of Coherent WDM multiplexing and demultiplexing may be found in Photonics Technology Letters, Vol 18, No 12, pp1338-

In summary, I agree, cost and power budget will be key factors, but Coherent WDM does offer the possibility of simultaneously achieving all of the technical targets.

Huge,

With regard to coding, multi-wavelength codes have indeed been investigated for use in WDM systems, including Coherent WDM. However, the ability to minimize the crosstalk within Coherent WDM itself was found to be so successful that minimal additional benefit from FEC was available.

Best wishes

Andrew Ellis

Senior Research Fellow

Photonic Systems Group

Tyndall National Institute and Department of Physics

University College Cork

Ireland

Phone: +353 21 490 4858

Fax: +353 21 490 4880