Re: [HSSG] <HSSG-FO> Fiber Optic Ad Hoc Teleconference 12/18/2006 - Table Correction

Hi everyone,

I am sorry that I could not attend the previous teleconference, but I would like to know why below solutions are not including in this table.

Objective

# Lanes

~Lane Rate (Gb/s)

Source

Mux

Grid

10km SMF

1310 nm

5

20

Cooled DML

CWDM

20 nm G.694.2

1310 nm

5

20

Cooled DML

DWDM

200 GHz G.694.1

1550 nm

5

20

Cooled EML

DWDM

200 GHz G.694.1

I suppose that cooled DML is easier way to achieve 20Gb/s operation than un-cooled DML.

Also, cooled DML thermo electronic cooler power dissipation may be lower than cooled EML because of lower power dissipation of laser chip itself.

10km with 1550nm DML may be challenging, but it could be possible. Regarding our experimental result, 1550nm DML can achieve 10.3Gb/s 40km SMF transmission with less than 1dB penalty. If only fiber dispersion is the limitation of 20Gb/s distance, 1550nm DML could achieve 20Gb/s 10km SMF transmission.

1550nm solution would be better to realize future upgradeability. That is my thought.

Thank you,

Eddie

Eddie Tsumura

Vice president of Engineering and Marketing

Excelight Communications (A Sumitomo Electric Company)

4021 Stirrup Creek Drive

Suite 200

Durham, NC 27703

Phone 919-361-1634