From: Shimon Muller [mailto:Shimon.Muller@Sun.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 10:43 AM
To: STDS-802-3-HSSG@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [HSSG] 40G MAC Rate Discussion

> 1) What is so magical about 40Gps number for servers?
> Why any other multiple of 10 between 10Gbps - 100Gbps is not
considered
> good for servers?

Nothing magic about 40Gb for servers, just as there is nothing magic
about
a 10x scaling factor, except for tradition.
40Gb happens to be in the right ballpark for server needs in that
timeframe,
and it will be at the right cost.

> 2) Do one really think that a processor (MC/MT included) and memory
system
> could meaningfully fill the 40Gbps pipe and still do some useful work?

> I mean
> by 2011 or may be beyond?

Absolutely. I would be more than happy to demonstrate that to you.

> 3) What is PCIe affinity to 40Gbps as I/O? PCIe doesn't seem to tied
> to 40Gbps.
> It supports or could support any multiple of 10 (or may be 2.5)
> between 2.5Gbps - 100Gbps.

Today, PCI-Ex 1.0 can do 32Gb raw, but at most 24Gb usable.
By 2010, PCI-Ex 2.0 will double that to 64Gb raw, 48Gb usable.
By 2015, PCI-Ex 3.0 will double that again to 128Gb raw, 96Gb usable.
It's all about timing.

> 4) Extending flexibility, if flexibility is desired then why limit to
> just 40G and 100G? If flexibility of
> multi-rate is a goal why not option for 20G or 50G (if not more)?

Some (very reasonable) people would argue that infinite flexibility is a
good thing. I am not one of them. Life is about trade-offs.

Shimon.