[HSSG] HSSG Fiber Optic Adhoc Meeting Notes 4/04/2007

Dear HSSG Members,

I am going to apologize up front for missing some of the content of the meeting in my notes. I did not

take shorthand in school and this has left me somewhat unprepared for the job! :)

If anyone notices an error or omission, please contact me directly and I will update these notes and when

they are final, have them posted on the HSSG-FOAH website.

Regards,

Dan Dove

HSSG-FOAH Chair

HSSG Fiber Optic Adhoc Meeting Notes 4/04/2007

Attendees:

Last

First

Employer

Affiliation

Anslow

Pete

Nortel Networks

Nortel Networks

Barrass

Hugh

Cisco Systems

Cisco Systems

Chang

Frank

Vitesse

Vitesse

Clairardin

Xavier

Self Employed

Kotura

Cole

Chris

Finisar

Finisar

Dallesasse

John

Emcore

Emcore

Dambrosia

John

Force 10

Force 10

Dawe

Piers

Avago Technology

Avago Technology

Dhliwayo

Jabulani

Corning

Corning

Dove

Daniel

Dove Networking Solutions

ProCurve Networking by HP

Dudek

Mike

Picolight

Picolight

Green

Larry

Ixia

Ixia

Jiang

Wenbin

JDSU

JDSU

Keisuke

Kojima

Mitsubishi Electric Research Lab

Mitsubishi Electric Research Lab

Maki

Jeffery

Juniper Networks

Juniper Networks

McSorley

Greg

Amphenol

Amphenol

Miao

Tremont

Analog Devices

Analog Devices

Patel

Shashi

Foundry Networks

Foundry Networks

Pepeljugoski

Petar

IBM

IBM

Schrans

Thomas

Optical Communication Products

Optical Communication Products

Song

Steve

Exelight

Exelight

Swanson

Steve

Corning

Corning

Tatah

Karim

Cray

Cray

Tsumura

Eddie

Exelight

Exelight

Notes:

Prior to presentations, the chair provided a reference to IEEE patent policy on the web and requested all members to take a moment to read.  http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/patent.html

Pete's Presentation

================

Petar P: Should we consider other effects like polarization, etc?

Pete A: There are some well known differences between fiber... to include real data into the spreadsheet is tricky because you suffer from the problem that information is sometimes too optimistic

Petar P: In some countries where legacy is prevalent, we might need more data to support those fibers

Pete A: Even DPQSK or 25G/lane over 40Km would likely be able to operate over such fibers

Frank: We need guidelines for all parameters

Dan: Are there any other parameters that we should be including in the spreadsheet?

Pete A: Not in a position to put down something that is useful. Some info available, for example at recent

OFC, some operators were presenting PMD distribution information.

Chris: Don't see us spending time on that. Loss & Dispersion are key parameters. Dave Cunningham made a presentation in Dallas where he referenced the 10G spreadsheets & the value they provide. In particular, shows the loss in the 1310 window, which is important.

Piers: Easy question, is skew delay the integral of chromatic dispersion?

Pete: Y.

Piers: Concerned about the method applied to derive data, that it is different than conventional (Piers correct me if I misstated this)

Piers: 10G EPON people re-arranging the look/feel of the spreadsheet. Would we want to accept this as the basis for forward movement, then align with the 10G EPON activity as they proceed?

Pete A: 10G EPON is addressing different problems.

John Jaeger: <I totally missed John’s point and was unable to transcript>

Chris C: update to models going to be much bigger task.

Conversation got too fast for chair to record. Feel free to insert if you have it.

Straw Poll: Adopt spreadsheet "FOAH_anslow_02_0407.xls" as the basis for future work

and presentations in the HSSG with regard to attenuation, dispersion & skew for

single mode fiber cables including splices.

No Objection:

Chris Cole's Presentation

====================

Added Optical Amplification and Dispersion Compensation terms into spreadsheet.

Mike D: Should we add "cooled" as a term?

Chris C: Believes this term is very implementation dependent in most cases, and thus difficult to capture. Agrees it is an important parameter. Maybe belongs on 2nd sheet.

Mike D: OA and DC are costs as well vs technical feasibility.

Chris: Yes, ultimately all things translate to cost.

Dan D: What about adding cooling only to mandatory boxes?

Chris C: 10x10DML1310 10/140 & all four 2x50G boxes would be included other candidates? 40K DML 5x20 or 4x25 maybe

Chris C: Will make the changes and send out

Chris C: Any concerns with boxes labeled OA or DC? Should we add/subtract?

Pete A :Why is ML not EML in the table now?

Chris C: Possible that modulator structure might be different than assumed.

Pete A: Would we not also add 10x10 ML?

Chris C: yes

Chris C: Which boxes are you looking at? We are looking at 5x20 and 4x25 1310 DML and ML

John D: When TF is formed, people will begin to compare alternatives

Chris C: Will send out on reflector to request input on what people are investigating

Chris C: Moving on,  Slide 4 listed alternatives Pete, did I get this right?

Pete: No. No end points defined.

Chris C: CWDM expected 40% cost savings for uncooled approaches, 4-5 channel pretty feasible

Chris C: Speaking to slide 6, adopting an optimum grid is going to be very important if WDM used.

Pete A: Comment on "strongly resonate with * note, not with proposal to rename to IWDM.

Chris C: Looking for input from other members of FOAH to provide optimum grid.

Pete A: Brief mention of 40G, any need for input from FOAH on that topic? I believe there is a need for this. If 10x10, pretty straight forward how you might proceed... 4x10. However, if we went 5x20 or 4x25, it might change how you would proceed.

Chris C: Strictly data center, not any indication of 10Km or 40Km reach requirements.

Piers: What if 40G were 5x and 100G were 20x?

John: Requests for presentation time are due by April