Re: [HSSG] 40G MAC Rate Discussion

Matt

The current X40 is based on Xenpak MSA and was meeting the initial market
requirement.  During the development of X40 at one point I proposed to
start with X2.
Currently LX4 module exist with each lane operating at 3.125 Gb/s, so
the question here
is what would it take to increase the laser speed to 10G/lane?

Another data point we can use is the fact you can get LRM/LR SFP+ module
with <1W,
where X2 module is about 700% larger than SFP+ module.  Can you
repackage 4 SFP+
module in to an X2?

Imagine the technology required and time frame to support 100G on
servers requiring
MMF/SMF?

I did see Demo of QSFP at OFC operating at 5 Gb/s and some work has
already been done
to operate QSFP at 10Gb/s/lane.
http://www.comsoc.org/livepubs/ci1/public/2007/mar/index.html

Thanks,
Ali

Matt Traverso wrote:
> Hi Marcus, Schelto,
>
> As my company is not a member of the X40 MSA, I should not comment on
> this directly.  However, my limited understanding of the potential
> market environment for a 40GbE physical interface suggests that the
> X40 would not fit comfortably in the servers that Shimon is
> envisioning.
>
> I believe that the server environment is more comfortable with a
> physical interface which is similar in size and power dissipation
> envelope to the QSFP, XFP, or SFP.  I believe that all of my
> colleagues in the X40 MSA would agree that to achieve the power & size
> for a SMF solution is challenging.  I don't believe that a lengthy
> form factor discussion is appropriate or likely to be tolerated on
> this thread, so this is why I'd like to understand as part of 40GbE's
> BMP (broad market potential) effort the size / power / media
> requirements.
>
> I'm going to stay out of the LAG discussion as my knowledge base
> attenuates rapidly as we move up the protocol stack from the physical
> interface.
>
> thanks,
> --matt traverso
> mtraverso@opnext.com
>
> NOTE: This e-mail is being sent from my personal e-mail account rather
> than my corporate e-mail address at Opnext due to default signature
> files embedded in my Opnext e-mail account.
>
> On 4/6/07, Marcus Duelk <duelk@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> aren't there already 40G (i.e. 4x10G) transceiver out there ?
>> I know at least of one transceiver company that is offering these
>> devices today, there is also the X40 MSA group:
>>
>> http://www.x40msagroup.com/docs.html
>>
>> So I get the impression that the PMDs (including SMF) are
>> already existing, it is maybe more a matter to have a MAC
>> that supports this as one logical 40G pipe. But then we are
>> back at that discussion what the difference to 4x10G LAG is,
>> I assume ...
>>
>> Marcus
>>

>> Matt Traverso wrote:
>> > I'd like to comment from an optical component / module vendor point of
>> > view.
>> >
>> > Personally I'm not convinced that broad market potential has been
>> > demonstrated, but... Operating under the assumption that the 40GbE
>> > broad market potential is verified with end user input:
>> > - As we heard/saw in Jack Jewel's presentation focused on the cost &
>> > reliability of the MMF objective, extending from a 1x10G VCSEL to a
>> > 10x10G VCSEL does not represent a linear cost increase -- similarly a
>> > 4x10G would only be an incremental increase
>> > - The dominant cost in a nx10G MMF interface is likely to be any
>> > premium charged for the interface IC as well as costs associated with
>> > the development quad laser drivers & quad amplifiers (or deka drivers
>> > & amps)
>> > - I'd like to hear a comment / perspective from the fiber
> [...]

begin:vcard
fn:Ali Ghiasi
n:Ghiasi;Ali
org:Broadcom;HSIP
adr;dom:;;3151 Zanker Road;San Jose;CA;95014
email;internet:aghiasi@broadcom.com
title:Chief Architect
tel;work:(408)922-7423
tel;cell:(949)290-8103