From:   Matt Traverso [mailto:matt.traverso@GMAIL.COM]
Sent:   Saturday, April 07, 2007 06:29 PM Eastern Standard Time
To:     STDS-802-3-HSSG@listserv.ieee.org
Subject:        Re: [HSSG] 40G MAC Rate Discussion

Hi Ali,

I think we are in agreement with regards to the size/shape of a useful
physical interface for the server environment.  However, I would
suggest that you use the top surface area of the module as your figure
of merit when comparing one form factor to another.  Such that the X2
at 2779mm^2 versus the SFP+ at ~603mm^2 provides a factor of 460%.
This is why the X2 maximum power dissipation is rated at 4W and the
class 1 limit for SFP+ is 1W (again ~4x difference).  (Note that in
stacked module environments it becomes somewhat more difficult as the
ideal surface area comparison becomes chassis / air flow specific.)

"Imagine the technology required and time frame to support 100G on
servers requiring MMF/SMF?"

I have been imagining this extensively!  As stated earlier, using the
likely VCSEL array approach suggested by at least one of Jack Jewel's
presentations, the cost, size, and power dissipation of a 100G MMF
solution should scale sub-linearly other items being equal.  With
regards to the timeline, I'm encouraged by the increased performance
metrics from various 10GbE VCSEL suppliers which indicates that the
crosstalk penalties which Chris Cole alluded to for a parallel
interface should be conquerable if we are not overly onerous when
writing the standard.

With regards to an SMF interface I'm struggling to understand how this
would fit into a 40GbE server environment focused upon MMF.  I request
that any supporter of the 40GbE MAC rate provide additional insight as
to the (a) media, (b) order of magnitude volumes (eg. relative to PCI
express slots), (c) timeframe of the end user market.  I'd like to be
educated about the important metrics of this market.

In regards to an SMF interface for 100G, as mentioned in my 10km
presentation at the March plenary, one strategy for the "ultimate"
transceiver should be an integrated monolithic design for a
transmitter chip (sometimes referred to as a PIC) and receiver chip
each with four lanes running at ~25Gbit/s.  I am fearful that pushing
the small components industry into pursuing both a 4x10G PIC and a
4x25G PIC is impractical.  I can comfortably assert that the number of
companies equipped to design and enter into commercial production of
such a PIC is less than a handful.  I am leery of 40GbE due to a
potential pull for one or more SMF interfaces for the sake of a
"complete" standard.

I apologize for being long winded.

Thanks
--matt
(e) mtraverso@opnext.com

NOTE: This e-mail is being sent from my personal e-mail account rather
than my corporate e-mail address at Opnext due to default signature
files embedded in my Opnext e-mail account.