From: Daniel Cheok Kiang Kho
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 4:25 PM
To: STDS-802-3-HSSG@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: RE: [HSSG] 40G MAC Rate Discussion

Donn,
I believe there are 100GbE LAG devices today. However, these devices,
and equipment incorporating them, are non-standard devices/equipment
based on current protocols.

As an example, the largest device of the Stratix II GX family (2SGX130)
could LAG up to 20x6.375Gbps maximum. If exactly 100Gbps is needed, the
device can be clocked at a lower frequency to achieve 20x5Gbps=100Gbps
LAG. However, this device's maximum per-lane datarate is only 6.375Gbps.

As mentioned by others in the group, there are manufacturers who came up
with silicon that can produce a per-lane datarate of up to 10Gbps (or
higher?). I don't know how many lanes have been built into these
devices, but link aggregating them is possible, though this may mean
having to have a multi-device implementation, which could be costly and
bulky.

As 100Gbps transceiver LAGs are already becoming available, what we need
now is a 100GbE standard, which would standardize, among other things,
the per-lane datarate and the pipe (or bus) width of the LAG.

Regards,
Daniel