Re: [HSSG] 40G MAC Rate Discussion

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Ali Ghiasi wrote:

> I know there is readily available solution based on QSFP that could do
> 40G copper with twin-ax cables.  Copper solution are very attractive for
> sub-10m as they offer order of magnitude cost advantage.  Longer reach
> cable not as attractive as you have to use heavier gage which increase
> the cable size, weight, cost, and the complexity of receiver increases.

Well, my idea was to compare 4*10GE LAG and whatever 40GE solution is
being proposed. I understand now I should have written this outright,
sorry.

My thoughts were that operational cost and CAPEX of doing 4*10GE LAG using
10GBASE-T for servers would be quite a lot lower than any new proposed
40GE solution, since I only saw coaxial and fiber proposed for 40GE
physical media.

Or have I misunderstood 10GBASE-T when it comes to power and reach (100M
over CAT7 or ~50 on CAT6)? Does it require a lot more power than fiber
based solution?

From a pure end-user perspective CAT6-7 based cabling has the lowest
operational cost (physical only) since it's abundant and there is a lot of
experience with that kind of cabling. But perhaps it uses a lot more power
than the other proposed solutions for 40GE?

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se