Re: [HSSG] 40G MAC Rate Discussion

Mike,
thanks for the critique.

I think the confusion is a result of two factors: the translation between the various form factors of PHY/PMD (e.g. SFP, SPF+, XFP, XENPAK), and time frame of the comparisons.  Scott Kipp stated that presently the cost of 20G (4x5G) QSFP was about the same as XFP (or 10 x SFP cost), declining to 4 x SFP cost with volumes (implying time).  I was basing my initial costs on the present comparison.  It would be useful for future analysis if the relative costs of these form factors containing the same optical elements were made known.  Scott provided the touch stone for the 4G-SFP and 10G-XFP.  Others that would be useful include 10G-SFP+ and XENPAK.

My analysis of the cost of 4x 2-fiber cabling with duplex (LC) connectors agrees with your assessment that it is roughly the same as 1x 12-fiber cabling with array (MPO) connectors.  This can be seen in my cost comparison for the LAG scenario.

I realize that the cost of high-speed I/O chips is a significant cost driver.  I can accept that the factor of 2 that I applied as the difference between the 20G QSFP and 40G QSFP might be high.  But it does remain to be seen if a 10G-lane-rate QSFP can fulfil the needs of the yet-to-be-defined solution without CDR, one type of such chips.  I think Ali stated that he thought CDR would be needed for parallel optics.  If you are correct, then the difference between 4x 10G LAG and 40G parallel would be greater, as the cost of the 40G parallel would be lower.

I do not understand your reference to mux/demux chips, since it is presumed that the electrical lane rate equals the optical lane rate.
If you agree that the cost factor of 2.5 is appropriate for 40G to 100G, then perhaps my guesstimate that the cost of 5 XFI is roughly the same as 4 XENPAK is a source of error.  From what I infer from the previous point on the 20G to 40G comparison, then perhaps the number of XFI should be higher.  Please clarify as this material is being used in presentations for next week.

Regards,
Paul Kolesar
CommScope Inc.
EnterpriseŽ Solutions
1300 East Lookout Drive
Richardson, TX 75082
Phone:  972.792.3155
Fax:      972.792.3111
eMail:   pkolesar@commscope.com

Mike Dudek <mike.dudek@PICOLIGHT.COM>

04/10/2007 07:17 PM
Please respond to
Mike Dudek <mike.dudek@PICOLIGHT.COM>

STDS-802-3-HSSG@listserv.ieee.org
cc
Subject
Re: [HSSG] 40G MAC Rate Discussion

Paul

I disagree with some of the assumptions made below, in particular the difference between 40G (4x10G as one pipe) and 40G LAG (4x10G independent streams) for parallel implementation.   As Scott Kipp said the cost of a 40G QSFP (which does not include any CDR's) is likely to be somewhat more than the cost of 4 10G SFP parts.   The fiber interconnect for the SFP's are duplex LC whereas the QSFP has an MTP (I'm not sure what the relative cost of 4 duplex LC jumpers versus an MTP jumper is, but I doubt the difference is significant.).  For the link itself the fibers are likely to be similar.   In short I think that any significant cost differences are related to the cost of the IC's that are required to mux/demux the signals for either 40G transmission or whatever is needed for LAG.   There is no factor of two difference between these options and what difference there is may be in the other direction.

On the relative costs of the 100G versus 40G for parallel solutions I think you are fairly close although you may have over-estimated the difference in cost between the solutions for the PMD's.   Assuming we are talking 10x10G and 4x10G parallel solutions I would expect that the costs would be similar per 10G stream, with the 4x10G implementation being somewhat higher on that metric.  (There are complexities in having Tx and Rx in the same package, and the total number of components for the two solutions is smaller per 10G stream for the 100G).    My estimate is that the relative costs of the two PMD's would be between 2x and 2.5x larger for the 100G.  (ie cost per bit is either equal or somewhat less for the 100G solution which is what you assumed).

Regards

Mike Dudek
Director Transceiver Engineering
Picolight Inc