Re: [HSSG] Soliciting Support for my Presentation

Dan,

Thanks for elevating the level of debate and I will do the same.

Regarding economic feasibility of 40G transceivers, I have talked to several transceiver vendors and most predict a near linear growth in cost between 40GE and 100GE at similar volumes.  Thus 40GE transceivers would cost about 40% of the cost of 100GE transceivers.  Others have proposed that there is about a 2X difference in cost between 100GE and 40GE.  Some representatives have acted like a 2X cost difference is not substantial, but I see it as significant.

These costs do depend on volumes and economies of scale, so predicting volumes in 5 years is a challenge.

Another aspect of economic feasibility that has not been discusssed much in the HSSG is power consumption.  Power consumption has become one of the leading design constraints and cost points in choosing where data centers are located.  For example, Google and Microsoft are locating their plants near hydroelectric power plants along the Columbia river to save on power costs.  Read more at: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.10/cloudware_pr.html

I've heard that 40G transceivers would consume about 40% of the power of 100G transceivers.  Transceiver power consumption adds up and consuming 60% less power in a component is significant.  I would welcome more input from the transceiver vendors about the expected power consumption and initial cost of 40G vs. 100G transceivers.

Regarding tieing alternative technologies together, 40GE would be a subset of 100GE from my perspective.  It is unfortunate that the 40GE proponents came to the meetings fairly late in the HSSG PAR approval process.  I understand the groups frustration of almost being complete and then a new requirement being suggested.  The intent of the 40GE proponents was never to delay the PAR and we feel that the PAR could progress rapidly with a simple inclusion of 40GE.  Tying alternate proposals together does not make sense unless one is a subset and requires little additional work.

If a new 40GE PAR was split out and accepted, wouldn't the 40GE group quickly catch up and  possibly wait for the 100GE standard since it plans to piggyback on almost every aspect of the 100GE standard?  I know others have decades of experience in developing IEEE standards.  If some scenarios could be shown as to how the parallel standards might progress, I would be more comfortable with taking this approach.

It seems like most people agree that 100GE and 40GE are both needed.  The conflict arises in how we get there.

The distinct identity between 100GE and 40GE will probably be the difference between 1 MPO ribbon connector and two.  Only if a 100GE transceiver uses bidirectional links in a single ribbon would they both have a single ribbon interface.  To your point, the QSFP transceiver supplies 4 lanes that could be tied together by a 40GE MAC or four 10GE MACs.  The physical interface could be broken out to individual links with a fanout cable.   A 10X10 link would probably not be broken out with a complex patchcord into ten 10 GE links.  Being able to use the QSFP in two applications may drive volume that decreases price but it may cause the customer to consider what they are cabling.

Regarding clustering PMDs, I guess you're referring to linking four  transceivers (like 10GE SFP+s )  together within the box to form an external 40GE link.  This approach could have some skew problems that would probably be eliminated with the QSFP.   You asked about my thoughts on having OTN on the backplane and I don't have any and did not propose this.  This also falls out of the realm of 40GE being a subset of 100GE, so I would not be in favor of it.

You asked how do we ensure that 10km and 40 km 40GE PMDs are not introduced. The answer is that companies should not qualify or support non-standard parts.  I don't know of any enforcement agency for standards, so it is up to individual companies.

I look forward to hearing your proposals to move forward.  I'm sorry if I'm belaboring these points but wanted to answer your questions.

Regards,
Scott