Re: [HSSG] fault signalling

Mikael,
Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. This is an
Ethernet interface and shouldn't be attempting to be a SONET interface.

There are two cases to be considered:
- If the service provided to the end customer is a service that runs
OVER an Ethernet (e.g., a VLAN, where the Ethernet itself is owned by
the service provider), I think you will find all of the OAM you need to
support this environment in 802.1ah and other documents such as ITU-T
Recommendation Y.1731.

- If the service provide to the end customer is the Ethernet itself (the
customer expects a transparent service, for example, over the service
provider's OTN network), I think it is extremely unlikely that the
customer (or certainly ALL customers, which is what you would need for a
viable application) is willing to allow the service provider to diddle
some bits in THEIR Ethernet to maintain links within the service
provider network. The customer in this circumstance thinks that every
bit belongs to them. This second scenario can only be supported by the
service provider operating some server layer network (e.g., OTN) which
carries the Ethernet transparently and provides the OAM within the OTN
server layer and not the Ethernet client layer.
Regards,
Steve