From: Trowbridge, Stephen J (Steve)
[mailto:sjtrowbridge@ALCATEL-LUCENT.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 12:13 PM
To: STDS-802-3-HSSG@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [HSSG] fault signalling

Mikael,
I was just thinking about the reasonableness of your installation
scenario ...

If I order analog voice service from Qwest, Qwest sends somebody to my
house to verify the connectivity to their central office and turn up the
service.
If I order cable modem service from Comcast (6 Mbit/s), Comcast sends
someone to my house to verify connectivity to their network, do
extensive checks on my cabling at home (how I have my splitters
configured, making sure that everything except the cable modem jack is
filtered so that I don't leak anything back into their Cable TV
distribution network, and that the service works).

Is it realistic to think that for a bleeding edge service at over 15,000
times the bandwidth of any service I have to my house, that this will
occur by letting the customer install and connect their own equipment
over an unverified run of dark fiber and I expect to turn up that
service from one end of the fiber at the service provider POP without
sending anyone to the customer premises?
Regards,
Steve