Re: [HSSG] Shilla hotel charges

Title:
This remind me to curiously check my bills too, the shilla obviously selected the best favourable rates for itself either way. This practice sound quite different from my another local hotel in the preceding week.
-----Original Message-----
From: Trey Malpass [mailto:trey.malpass@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2007 3:52 PM
To: STDS-802-3-HSSG@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [HSSG] Shilla hotel charges

Mastercard applied the correct exchange rate (according to www.oanda.com) to my bill.
The Shilla billed me for 235,250 KRW per the credit card receipt and the amount on my bill was $261.02.
So, the exchange rate is correct for the 9/11/07 date but we were overbilled compared to the advertised $250 meeting fee.

For future meetings, I would suggest processing of meeting fees separate from hotel charges.  Since the meetin fees are advertised in $US, I would also suggest that fee processing should be only in $US to avoid exchange rate controversies.

*********************************

Trey Malpass

Principal Consultant

Malpass Technology, LLC

29863 Canterbury Circle

Evergreen, CO 80439

Phone: 303-670-1577

Fax:   303-670-4501

Cell:   303-588-1422

*********************************

Trowbridge, Stephen J (Steve) wrote:
Hi all,
The charges from the Shilla hotel were just uploaded from AMEX into my
company voucher system, and I noticed the following:
Rather than submitting the charge in Korean Won in the amount shown on
my hotel folio, they submitted the charge in US dollars having done the
conversion themselves at a rather predatory exchange rate of 887
KRW/US$.

I called AMEX to complain. Judging from my experience in contesting
charges with AMEX in the past, I expect that they will eventually issue
a "courtesy adjustment" and eat the difference in exchange rate
themselves because it is cheaper than doing a proper investigation. But
perhaps if I am not the only person who has this issue who calls to
complain, the credit card companies might put some pressure on the hotel
Steve