From: Trowbridge, Stephen J (Steve) <sjtrowbridge@ALCATEL-LUCENT.COM>
To: STDS-802-3-HSSG@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG <STDS-802-3-HSSG@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
Sent: Tue Sep 25 11:14:43 2007
Subject: Re: [HSSG] Shilla hotel charges

Jacky,
We seem to have gotten WAY off the topic of my original complaint.

I was not complaining about how the meeting fee was charged. I was not complaining about our host (Samsung or ETRI). I was not complaining about the AMEX international service fee.

What I was complaining about was the fact that the hotel did not charge my total bill (mostly lodging, but also containing the meeting fee) to AMEX in the amount of Korean Won shown on my hotel folio (where, as you say, AMEX would have tacked on their fee where I couldn't see it). The hotel converted my bill to US dollars at THE HOTEL's exchange rate, and billed that DOLLAR amount to AMEX, and this was a significantly worse rate than AMEX would have given me.

From others who have posted, the Novotel did not do this. The hotel I stayed at ~3 years ago in Seoul for IETF did not do this. The hotel I stayed at in Seoul in 1997 in transit to another destination did not do this. No other hotel I have stayed at in 22 countries on 5 continents for business travel has done this. They have all submitted the hotel charges to AMEX in local currency in the EXACT amount shown on my hotel folio. Assuming that I am not the only one who was charged in this manner, this hotel's unique charging method seems to net them an extra ~$70-90 per guest depending on whether they were there for four or five nights.
Regards,
Steve