From: Trowbridge, Stephen J (Steve)
[mailto:sjtrowbridge@ALCATEL-LUCENT.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 1:09 PM
To: STDS-802-3-HSSG@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [HSSG] Trowbridge_01_0907.pdf comment about 49.2.4.3

Hi David,
Understood that the state machine is the (most) normative part of the
specification, but I don't think you want to rely on things that are
buried deep in the state machine to provide the appropriate safeguards
about where one needs to be careful in future evolution of the 802.3
standard so as not to break a mapping into OTN. No doubt that the state
machine must be designed so that it interworks properly with the mapping
into OTN that will be standardized concurrently in ITU-T. But making
sure that it works with the initial version of the standard and making
sure that nobody breaks it later both need to be covered.

Regarding the 40G PHY, we haven't (and aren't allowed to yet, according
to the rules) chosen a solution. I think that it is widely assumed that
the 40G PHY will be a 4-lane interface with each lane bearing a lot of
resemblance to a 10G serial PHY, but it WILL be different. For one
thing, the lane of the 40G PHY needs to have lane alignment markers for
deskew when combined with the other three lanes. No such marker appears
in any 10G serial PHY (and the markers for 10G parallel PHYs are based
on replacing four 10B consecutive codewords from an IPG - since I think
it is widely assumed that we won't be using 8B/10B for the lanes of 40G
(which wouldn't correspond to any serial PHY for 10G anyway), so the 10G
Base-X lane marking strategy is unlikely to be used for 40 GbE). Whether
the lane alignment markers are inserted into a lane by doing a rate
adaptation on the MAC (stealing enough IPG to make room) and just making
the marker look like a control block, or whether the lane rate is
increased slightly to make room for the marker is still TBD. So I agree
that it is most likely that lanes of the 40 GbE PHY will be quite
similar to a 10 GbE serial PHY, I do not see any way that the lanes of a
40 GbE PHY could actually BE a 10 GbE serial PHY.
Regards,
Steve