Re: [802.3BA] [HSSG] Reach Ad Hoc

Following the 12/06/07 Reach Ad Hoc conference call, I sent an email to
the HSSG reflector (appended at the end of this email) requesting
continued end user input on reach distribution for 10km and shorter
applications.

My email was forwarded to several end user email lists, for example
NANOG (North American Network Operators Group). I subsequently received
a number of emails from different data center operators commenting on
their needs. This gave me the opportunity to follow up with some more
detailed exchanges to better try to understand how optics are being
used. While it would have been preferable for those emails exchanges to
have occurred on the HSSG reflector, at least I can share the insights I
gained.

More then half the emails objected to reducing the 10km reach objective.
There were three broad categories for why a 3km or 4km reach objective
was seen an unacceptable. For a portion of the end users, 3km or 4km was
not enough reach; they needed something a bit more then 4km for example
5km. For another portion, the extra 10km link budget was used to
accommodate much higher number of connectors / patch panels then
nominally in the standard, or just to deal with sloppy patch cord
handling. The last portion of the end users had a significant fraction
of links between 4km and 10km.

The emails that preferred a 3km or 4km reach objective were in three
broad categories of what was seen as the volume sweet spot, for which
minimum cost was paramount. The three sets of reaches that were seen as
capturing most of the volume were: 1) 500m to 1km, 2) <2km, 3) <4km.

I received permission from several of the end users to share their
emails with the HSSG reflector, and they are appended below. These
emails are meant to be exemplary and there is no intent to imply that
they accurate reflect the distribution of opinions for any of the end
user groups.

My conclusion from these exchanges is that there are many different ways
in which optics are used. End users have adopted the existing 10km reach
standard to a variety of applications, and we should be very careful
before making changes that may break many applications that we are not
even aware of.

At this point, I support keeping the existing 10km reach objective, and
do not support changing to a shorter reach.

I would also encourage anyone on the HSSG reflector, who is also a
member of any of the end user groups, like NANOG, to share their views,
or summarize their take on the views of their group on the HSSG
reflector. This will add to the credibility of this discussion.

Chris

YAHOO)

Burst