[802.3BA] 5 Criteria mod to support 40 G on SMF

Dear members of the IEEE 802.3ba Task Force,

I have reviewed our approved set of 5 Criteria responses

http://www.ieee802.org/3/ba/PAR/HSSG_5C_0707.pdf

looking for any material that will need to be changed
in the event we adopt an objective to support 40 Gb/s
operation on 10 km of single mode fiber. In my opinion,
the responses will remain valid and complete, with one
exception.

On page 6 of the above referenced file, in our response
to the Economic Feasibility criterion, we state:

  Presentations indicate that for the server market and
  computing applications the optimized rate to provide
  the best balance of performance and cost is 40 Gb/s.
  For the network aggregation market and core networking
  applications, the optimized rate offering the best
  balance of performance and cost is 100 Gb/s.

If we adopt a 40 Gb/s SMF objective, then this response
should be modified along the lines of:

  Presentations indicate that for the server market,
  computing applications and some cost-sensitive
  aggregation applications, the optimized rate to provide
  the best balance of performance and cost is 40 Gb/s.
  For the network aggregation market and core networking
  applications, the optimized rate offering the best
  balance of performance and cost is 100 Gb/s.

The change being the insertion of the words "some cost-sensitive
aggregation applications" in the first sentence.

I think that our previously approved responses for Broad
Market Potential, Compatibility, Distinct Identity, and
Technical Feasibility will not require any change in the
event that we adopt an objective for 40 Gb/s operation on
SMF. I think that the proponents of the new objective will
be able to readily demonstrate this.

If you think I have over looked something else that might need
to be changed, please speak up, and please provide a proposed
change.

Howard Frazier
Broadcom Corporation