Re: [802.3BA] 5 Criteria mod to support 40 G on SMF

<<snip>>

> 40G is absolutely incremental as it is a path to upgrade 10G links for
> the more cost driven part of the market. Hadn't we had 40G, most users
> would have continued happily with nx10G links.

Now there's an idea I could get behind (again).  Happy 4x10G LAG customers
sounds good to me too.  But that would be back tracking the group even
further.

Hope that no one is really surprised that this discussion is taking place -
as this exact scenario was discussed on multiple occasions last March, April
and May.  It was only a matter of when it would take place, not if.  Gary's
presentation in Geneva and the 28 supporters who signed onto it clearly
spelled this out
http://www.ieee802.org/3/hssg/public/may07/nicholl_01_0507.pdf .

So since we are here, my hope is that the Ad-hoc presentations & calls
continue to get the data out for discussion, the reflector dialog continues
to debate the more interesting points, and that we get a complete airing and
discussion of the topic in the March meeting so that with a decision either
way sooner rather than later, we can all focus our efforts on the task at
hand; proposals and baseline selections for a draft standard.

-john