Re: [802.3BA] 5 Criteria mod to support 40 G on SMF

Matt

The current OC-768 transponders form factor are 5x7" with typical PD of 20W and with little change
in the last 5 years.  Can you explain to me how you take this monster in to something like QSFP.
Obviously you will save a little bit by replacing SFI-5 with 4x10G interface.

Today an OC-768 transponder cost over 100x the cost of an LR/LRM SFP+.  Your LX4 example is
correct, but I do not expect the cost shift in favor of serial 40G will be sooner than 2018!

We should keep 40GE simple, small, low power, and low cost:
    - 4 Lane copper cable
    - 4 Lane SR optics
    - 4 Lane CWDM
Leverage CL 52 and X40 MSA so we don't take so much resource out of the 100 Gig project.

Thanks,
Ali

Matt Traverso wrote:
203a31870802161055i406ac8d2n27287654ca1d991e@mail.gmail.com" type="cite">
Chris Cole: "If the 802.3ba Task Force decides to add a 40GE SMF reach objective, the
additional workload to write the standard will be moderate."
*** Agreed.

Chris Cole: "Just as development of a 40GE SMF PMD will highly leverage the existing 10GE technology, so will specification writing highly leverage 10GE-LR and LX4 standards. There appears to be a consensus on the approach, so no technical controversies are expected."
*** Unfortunately I cannot agree.  My company and others are intimately aware of the challenges with the parallel approach.  Based upon the volume ramp comments/perspectives I have been hearing from various folks on a 40GbE SMF solution it seems that clear path to minimize the bit/s/km costs should be optimized for 2012.  Based on this data point, we hold a strong opinion that the 40GbE SMF PMD should be based on serial 40G optics rather than the 4lambda approach.

When LX4 was first dreamed up many folks claimed that it would be lower cost than 4x2.5G SFP's because all the IC technology existed and the optics would be integrated. As it turned out that has never materialized. The packaging and yields costs were much higher than anyone anticipated. Also, the integration of IC's didn't really happen because IC vendors could not justify making the investment for such a small volume in the first couple of years.

In undertaking our analysis for 40G serial vs. 4x10G, we have tried to give the 4x10G the benefit of the doubt, but by 2012 it seems that the costs are clearly shifting in favor of the serial approach.

thank you
--matt traverso
Opnext