From: Frankel, Michael [mailto:MFrankel@CIENA.COM]
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2008 7:11 AM
To: STDS-802-3-HSSG@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: [802.3BA] Why 40GE and not 50GE?

I appologize ahead of time if this question has been addressed.  I looked over past HSSG material, and cannot find any info on how specific 40GE rate came about (as opposed to 50 GE).  40G simply appears as a "fact" in all the presentations.

Is 40G a default selection because of its ties to OC768 and OTU3?

The only item I found is Slide 5 of following presentation mentions PCIe x16 Gen2 as 50 Gbps of bandwidth.
http://www.ieee802.org/3/hssg/public/may07/pepeljugoski_01_0507.pdf

Michael.