From: Jesse Simsarian [mailto:jesses@ALCATEL-LUCENT.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 9:17 AM
To: STDS-802-3-HSSG@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802.3BA] 5 Criteria mod to support 40 G on SMF

Dear 802.3ba Task Force,

I would like to follow up to Howard Frazier's proposal for the 5
Criteria modification in the event we adopt an objective to support 40
Gb/s on 10 km of single mode fiber.  The presentations in support of
adding the objective have focused on switch-to-switch connections for
the application of aggregating server traffic.

Therefore, a proposal for the economic feasibility paragraph in question
is:
Presentations indicate that for the server market and computing
applications, including server traffic aggregation, the optimized rate
to provide the best balance of performance and cost is 40 Gb/s.  For the
network aggregation market and core networking applications the
optimized rate offering the best balance of performance and cost is 100
Gb/s.

This proposal would remove uncertainty over cost-sensitivity for 40GbE
and 100GbE.

I would also propose the following change to the broad market potential:
Servers, high performance computing clusters, blade servers, storage
area networks and network attached storage all currently make use of 1G
and 10G Ethernet, with significant growth of 10G projected in '07 and
'08.  I/O bandwidth projections for server and computing applications,
including server traffic aggregation, indicate that there will be a
significant market potential for a 40 Gb/s Ethernet interface.

These proposals are in line with the original justification for 40 GbE -
to support computing applications, but just extends the usefulness of
40GbE to switch-to-switch connections.

Regards,
Jesse Simsarian
Alcatel-Lucent

Howard Frazier wrote:

	Dear members of the IEEE 802.3ba Task Force,

	I have reviewed our approved set of 5 Criteria responses

	http://www.ieee802.org/3/ba/PAR/HSSG_5C_0707.pdf

	looking for any material that will need to be changed
	in the event we adopt an objective to support 40 Gb/s
	operation on 10 km of single mode fiber. In my opinion,
	the responses will remain valid and complete, with one
	exception.

	On page 6 of the above referenced file, in our response
	to the Economic Feasibility criterion, we state:

	  Presentations indicate that for the server market and
	  computing applications the optimized rate to provide
	  the best balance of performance and cost is 40 Gb/s.
	  For the network aggregation market and core networking
	  applications, the optimized rate offering the best
	  balance of performance and cost is 100 Gb/s.

	If we adopt a 40 Gb/s SMF objective, then this response
	should be modified along the lines of:

	  Presentations indicate that for the server market,
	  computing applications and some cost-sensitive
	  aggregation applications, the optimized rate to provide
	  the best balance of performance and cost is 40 Gb/s.
	  For the network aggregation market and core networking
	  applications, the optimized rate offering the best
	  balance of performance and cost is 100 Gb/s.

	The change being the insertion of the words "some cost-sensitive
	aggregation applications" in the first sentence.

	I think that our previously approved responses for Broad
	Market Potential, Compatibility, Distinct Identity, and
	Technical Feasibility will not require any change in the
	event that we adopt an objective for 40 Gb/s operation on
	SMF. I think that the proponents of the new objective will
	be able to readily demonstrate this.

	If you think I have over looked something else that might need
	to be changed, please speak up, and please provide a proposed
	change.

	Howard Frazier
	Broadcom Corporation

--