Re: [802.3BA] Longer OM3 Reach Objective

So I assumed similar to the items in your first paragraph, as I believe many others did as well in the January discussion.  And when I stated “for this optical PHY” in my response below, it is the power & complexity for this PHY’s application where many of the concerns continue to exist wrt the incremental burden vs. the additional gain.

John

From: Ali Ghiasi [mailto:aghiasi@BROADCOM.COM]
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2008 5:00 PM
To: STDS-802-3-HSSG@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802.3BA] Longer OM3 Reach Objective

John

I do agree in applications that you have a gearbox in the module adding the
EDC to the host adds extra power and with little benefits for these ports.
But assuming IEEE defines a PMA service interface XLAUI /CAUI as proposed by
http://www.ieee802.org/3/ba/public/mar08/latchman_01_0308.pdf
http://www.ieee802.org/3/ba/public/mar08/ganga_01_0308.pdf
then EDC or retimer will be associated to an specific PMD without burdening
all PMDs or adding complexity to the ASIC.

SFP+ is a great example we can follow and according to Ovum-RHK:will grow through
2011 at  202% CAGR for good reasons and you can listen to the webcast
http://lw.pennnet.com/webcast/display_webcast.cfm?id=529
SFP+ defines both limiting and linear interface.  A limiting port can only support SR and LR,
where a linear port can support SR, LR, LRM, and copper 10GSFP+Cu.  For nx10G PMD interface
we should follow the SFP+ winning model!  8.5Gig FC is also based on the same model but
but with relax transmitter and a simple EDC for linear ports.

Thanks,
Ali

John Jaeger wrote:

"Previously when I stated the OM3 link can be extended to 300 m and with
increase link margin, the reply was there is no such application
requirements."

- not sure that is the way I remember the discussion going Ali.  For me
anyways, it was centered on questioning the incremental power &
complexity/cost related to the required EDC for this optical PHY in order to
obtain the longer reach.  And yes, there were a wide range of expressed
opinions on the application value of picking up some of the distribution
tails, but I never heard such a definitive statement of 'no application
requirement'.

John