Re: [802.3BA] Longer OM3 Reach Objective

Frank,

With all due respect I cannot say that I have observed the trend you are speaking of. In fact, several of my own customers have dropped EDC and moved toward simpler limiting type ports. There are also simpler linear solutions getting traction that do the job for everything except LRM reaches.

I also would be interested in understanding what is implied by minimum extra power consumption. A simple survey of available IC’s shows ~ 200 mW (absolute best case, comparing 0.065 um apples with 0.13 um oranges, otherwise a fair comparison is probably 400 mW) per SFP+ channel extra for chips with EDC, compared to chips without. 200 mW per port for a 48 port switch is close to 10 Watt. And you will have more than one pizza box in a datacenter, I am sure.

Now that’s assuming LRM type EDC, so with a light version that supposedly we can now do with I know you guys are saying it won’t be as much, but then the burden is on you folks to demonstrate this. Because otherwise the concept ingrained in a lot of folks minds, including myself is EDC = lots of power

I do agree with Ali though, to have several interfaces, one XFI-like, and some SFI and KR like ones as well for other PMDs.

Best

Gourgen Oganessyan

Strategic Marketing Manager

Quellan Inc.