Re: [802.3BA] Longer OM3 Reach Objective

Mikael,

It is simply a matter of cost for us.  If the cost of 1310 nm
transceivers were closer to the 850 nm transceivers, we would use SMF
everywhere.  Our communications facilities group installs it in all of
our new locations.  I think in the ISP case you mention, they were able
to justify the cost by the reduction in effort to track, stock and
install the different types of transceivers and fiber (high volume). In
our case, the enterprise with a tight budget, we have to consider each
installation and give our scientists what they need for the absolute
lowest cost.  Every dollar spent on the network is a dollar not spent on
research, (our product) so we really need to minimize this cost.  If
that means using MMF, then we'll use it.

Regards,

Mike

--
Michael J. Bennett