Re: [802.3BA] Longer OM3 Reach Objective

Ryan and Others

The standard should not dictate or force an specific implementation in 802.3ba.  Any module which has a gearbox does inherently retiming.
Assuming the MAC ASIC electrical interface has minimum functionally i.e. nxXFI "XLAUI/CAUI it can directly interface to any module with gearbox which
retimes the data without any PMA-PMA device.  But, if the PMD is based on nx10G then you may need retimer and/or equalizer to drive these PMDs.
If the MAC SerDes has better jitter performance and/or equalizer it may be able to drive all PMDs without any external retimer or PMA-PMA.

For smaller module form factors like QSFP or CSFP if there is a retiming and/or equalizer it is expected to be external.  Again the PMA-PMA
interface is optional and should not be forced to be in the module unless there is a mux/de-mux in the module, this allow overtime elimination
of this function when the MAC ASIC SerDes performance improves.

The question of limiting and linear PMD is separate from the having an XLAUI/CAUI, having the optional PMA to PMA each PMD
electrical decision can be made standalone without impacting all the pieces of the puzzle.

Thanks,
Ali

Ryan Latchman wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I apologize for the late input on this thread, but I feel it is important to highlight that linear and limiting are not the only options here.  A retimed interface has already proven its ability to meet multiple distance objectives (including 300m over OM3), along with having numerous other benefits including having the highest margin of all three interfaces as shown in latchman_01_0108.pdf.

I think that we should avoid dictating specific implementations, and strive for architectural flexibility when writing this standard.  The 10GbE standard did a reasonably good job at this since numerous architectures have evolved over time while maintaining overall standards compliance.  It is however important to establish overall market needs to ensure that the standard appropriately satisfies them.

Best Regards,

Ryan