From: Matt Traverso [mailto:matt.traverso@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 10:07 AM
To: STDS-802-3-HSSG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3BA] XR ad hoc Phone Conference Notice

Colleagues,

I feel that we are coming to a situation similar to the impasse at 40G vs. 100G where different participants call different segments of the networking industry their customer.

For MMF, I'd like to see an optimized solution at 100m per all of the work that has been done.

I'd like to understand if folks feel that a different status for the extended reach
a) Informative
b) Normative
c) New objective

would significantly alter the technically proposed solution from the Ad Hoc.  Opinions?

Chris,

The case of slow market/industry transition from LX4 to LRM is one of the reasons why I would like to see the industry adopt 40G serial from the launch.  The slow adoption of LRM has primarily been limited by end customer knowledge of the solution. 40G serial technology is available.

thanks
--matt

Hi Gourgen,

Some numbers might help clarify what close to 0 means.

For 2008, Lightcounting gives a shipment number of approximately 30,000 for 10GE-LRM (and for 10GE-LX4 it's about 60,000.) So close to 0 would apply if we were rounding to the nearest 100K. As an aside, 10GE-LRM supports 220m of MMF, not 300m.

300m of OM3 is supported by 10GE-SR, which Lightcounting gives as approximately 400,000 in 2008, so that would be close to 0 if we rounding to the nearest 1M.

Another interesting sideline in looking at these numbers is that 2 years after the 10GE-LRM standard was adopted in 2006, despite the huge investment being made in 10GE-LRM development, and despite very little new investment being made in 10GE-LX4, the 10GE CWDM equivalent (i.e. 10GE-LX4, 4x3G) is chugging along at 2x the volume of the 10GE Serial solution that was adopted to replace it.

This should put some dim on hopes that very low cost 40GE Serial technology can be developed from scratch in two years and ship in volume when the 40GE standard is adopted in 2010.

Chris