Re: [802.3BA] XR ad hoc Phone Conference Notice

Shimon,
this is a revelation to me.  If I understand your brief response, you are claiming that the direction of future data center design will be based around a super computer.   I find that very interesting.  But it does little to address all of the more traditional data centers which are not centered around super computers and have channel lengths exceeding 100m.  Your position for all of those is to deploy a 10km SM solution for anything longer than 100m.  To me that is a recipe for stalled market penetration that will last for much longer than the delay we observed at 10G.

Regards,
Paul Kolesar
CommScope Inc.
Enterprise Solutions
1300 East Lookout Drive
Richardson, TX 75082
Phone:  972.792.3155
Fax:      972.792.3111
eMail:   pkolesar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Shimon Muller <Shimon.Muller@xxxxxxx>

07/11/2008 02:16 PM
Please respond to
Shimon.Muller@xxxxxxx

STDS-802-3-HSSG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [802.3BA] XR ad hoc Phone Conference Notice

 > I concur with Petar.

Same here.

As someone who had some exposure to the #2 on that list
(Ranger), I am in complete agreement with Petar and Rob.

HPC is no longer what it used to be, a supercomputer play
for geeks. It is a way of building commercial datacenters
today and in the foreseeable future. It is also the fastest
growing segment of the server market.

100m is more than enough for the vast majority of these
datacenters. The rest is rare enough to be addressed by SMF.

Shimon.