Re: [802.3BA] MMF Extended Reach conference call reminder

Alessandro/John

Looking at some of the email trails related to XR several people suggested
for application longer than 100 m just use SMF.  I absolutely agree with the
approach of using SMF for >100m if you could shove the SMF module into the
MMF QSFP cage.

We had several constructive discussion toward a resoluAlessandro/John

Looking at some of the email trails related to XR several people suggested
for application longer than 100 m just use SMF.  I absolutely agree with the
approach of using SMF for >100m if you could shove the SMF module into the
MMF QSFP cage.

We had several constructive discussion toward a resolution for MMF XR
last week with 5 option on the table:
    - Tighter transmitter specifications
   - CDR outside the module
   - CDR inside the module
   - Simple EDC (2 tap DFE) ghiasi_01_0108 was replaced with dudek_01_0708
   - Optional FEC
   - FEC always encode (John P withdraw this proposal)

At the meeting it was stated CDR in the module will be least invasive and would not require defining a 2nd PMD. There is no guarantee if you put CDR in the module the TX or RX jitter will improve, we have to define a new PMD with full set of TP2 and TP3 specifications.

If we do not want to define a new PMD for XR the obvious solution would be to reference 802.3 CL 52 single optical specifications for SR4/SR10, it already defines 300 m on OM3 fiber!

Thanks,
Ali

Alessandro Barbieri (abarbier) wrote:
Colleagues,
as proposed during the Ad-Hoc report by John Petrilla at the TF meeting in Denver (http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ba/public/jul08/petrilla_02_0708.pdf), we are planning another conference call this Thursday, July 24th 8.30am pacific, to continue the selection process among the remaining proposals on the table (internal CDR, enhanced TX spec and light-weight EDC) and to discuss the best way to add XR to the standard.

Below are the bridge information.

Anyone wishing to present, please follow the guidelines described on the Procedure for Presenters web page:
http://www.ieee802.org/3/hssg/public/presentproc.html

If you are planning to participate to the teleconference please take a moment to read the IEEE patent policy available here:
http://standards.ieee.org/board/pat/pat-slideset.ppt.

Thanks,
Alessandro

************************

Alessandro Barbieri has invited you to a Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Reservationless Conference

Meeting ID:              17136189

Global Access Numbers:
http://cisco.com/en/US/about/doing_business/conferencing/index.html

San Jose, CA: +1.408.525.6800 RTP: +1.919.392.3330 US/Canada: +1.866.432.9903 United Kingdom: +44.20.8824.0117
    India:      +91.80.4103.3979   Germany:          +49.619.6773.9002
    Japan:      +81.3.5763.9394    China:            +86.10.8515.5666

TO ATTEND A WEB AND VOICE CONFERENCE:

EXTERNAL ATTENDEES - Outside the Cisco Intranet
Join the Web & Voice Conference*
1. Go to http://meetingplace.cisco.com/join.asp?17136189
2. Fill in the My Name is field then click Attend Meeting
- If you have a CEC User ID, click on the Cisco icon
- Accept any security warnings you receive and wait for the Meeting Room to initialize**
3. Click on CONNECT from the Meeting Room to join the Voice Conference portion of the meeting
- Note: Guest users will see a link to the Global Access Numbers.

*If this is your first time attending a Web Conference, disable any pop-up blockers and visit http://meetingplace.cisco.com/mpweb/scripts/browsertestupper.asp to test your web browser for compatibility with the Web Conference.
**The meeting will not start until the Host of the meeting arrives - if you'd like to start the meeting with your Profile, please review the steps below to attend a Voice Only Conference as a Guest then follow the system prompts.

begin:vcard
fn:Ali Ghiasi
n:Ghiasi;Ali
org:Broadcom;HSIP
adr;dom:;;3151 Zanker Road;San Jose;CA;95014
email;internet:aghiasi@xxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Chief Architect
tel;work:(408)922-7423
tel;cell:(949)290-8103