Re: [802.3BA] Discussion on 40G for => 10 km SMF

Mikael,

Thanks for writing your questions. >In a 4x10G module, if one laser or receiver breaks, what happens then? Will the port shut down the same way it would with a 40G >serial?

Yes, in a 4x10G module, if one laser or receiver breaks the port will be shut down the same way it would with a 40G serial. There will be no difference between the two options.

>Also, future adhoc standard for 40G serial CWDM optics (ie someone developing 40G serial CWDM-band colored optics the same >way that has happened on 1G and 10GE) speaks in favour of serial instead of 4x10G, or am I mistaken?

I believe that we should be focused on the problem at hand of finding the best solution for 40GbE on SMF. I have heard the opinion that 40G serial will give us higher capacity, which is not the case here where one 40GbE is carried on a fiber. Of course there are WDM optical transport systems that operate at 40 Gb/s today and will continue to do so in the future. However, I do not think we should be making decisions here based on the future development of colored optical transport.

Regards,
Jesse

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
1. Operationally, 4 x 10G and 40G serial are equivalent. If anyone is voting for serial because of operational concerns, please bring this out on the reflector.

I have two questions (trying to determine operational impact for me as an end-user):

--
Jesse Simsarian
Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent