Re: [802.3BA] Discussion on 40G for => 10 km SMF

There is nothing about any approach being considered for 40GE 10km SMF
that helps DWDM better then the other being considered.

We have already explained that both 10G 1310nm un-cooled DFB and 40G
1310nm cooled EML are not useful as DWDM sources. This is especially
true for 80km distance which is the starting point for useful DWDM
applications.

With respect to ICs, the usefulness depends on what type of 40G DWDM
approach is used.

If the approach is ODB or DPSK, then 40GE Serial ICs are most useful.

If the approach is DQPSK, then 2x20G (as proposed by Avago) ICs are most
useful.

If the approach is DP-QPSK or 4 sub-carriers then CWDM ICs are most
useful.

802.3ba is not the right place to debate the best approach to 40G DWDM.

There is no justification for adding any cost to 40GE solution to create
hypothetical synergy with DWDM, especially because there is none.

Chris