From: Mikael Abrahamsson [mailto:swmike@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 2:55 PM
To: Chris Cole
Cc: STDS-802-3-HSSG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3BA] Discussion on 40G for => 10 km SMF

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008, Chris Cole wrote:

> There is nothing about any approach being considered for 40GE 10km SMF
> that helps DWDM better then the other being considered.

I am not primarily talking about DWDM, I am talking about 10km (and
perhaps up to 40km) SMF light with CWDM wave spacing (20nm) for metro
applications.

Enabling fairly easy development of 40GE 8 wave transport without
transponders (colored optics directly into external CWDM mux) tips the
balance for me in favor of 40GE serial, if cost projections are similar
for 40GE serial vs 4x10GE CWDM.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx