From: Geoff Thompson [mailto:gthompso@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 9:15 AM
To: STDS-802-3-HSSG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3BA] 802.3ba XR ad hoc next step concern

Steve-

In answer to your question

Because it has been the tradition of 802.3 (and I strongly believe a foundation of the success of 802.3 in general) that we offer more to the market than just "overwhelming odds" (quantified in the earlier message as 92% or only 11 times out of 12 tries). What we have worked to in 802.3 is significantly closer to "worst case design" than that. We have argued over the years about what that has meant but we have certainly never dipped that low.

What I believe that John has argued for (and not unreasonably) is the following.
We provide assured operation at 100 meters
If you want to go to 150 meters, the odds are very strong that you can succeed as long as you are will to lower your expectations from plug and chug to trying your way through a half dozen parts at each end in order to get a set that works.

His thesis, as I understand it, is:
  1) It is not worth the extra investment (time and money both) to get a different standard with the extra reach.
  2) Even if we do #1, the market won't pay anything for it. They will just go through the select and try route in order to save the extra money and separate inventory hassle.

Given the odds that it will work over 90% of the time, I would agree.

Am I willing to reduce our customers' overall chance of success to 92%?
No !!

Sincerely,

Geoff Thompson