Re: [802.3BA] 802.3ba XR ad hoc next step concern

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Dove, Daniel wrote:

Perhaps you can provide a chart that shows the distribution of lengths and the relative costs associated with them, and we can use that as the basis for further understanding? I know that this data has been presented in various presentations, but a nice succinct chart would be helpful.

I'm also interested in the cost difference between 100m, cost for an MM optic that'll do 150-200m, and if the optic that does 10km over SMF is applicable for the 200m MM case (like it is with 10GBASE-LX4 and 1000BASE-LX for instance), and if it is, what's the relative cost with that included.

On a personal note, I still don't understand why people invest a lot of money in MM cabling when SM is around :P It's obvious that to use MM with price-efficient optics, each hike in speed seems to shorten the reach in MM fiber.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx