Re: [802.3BA] 40G CMOS Ref

Matt

I am sorry if you feel I am trying to lead you down a rat-hole, I was just trying to figure out the reference for the eye diagram on
page 11 of traverso_02_0708 shown below:

    - You stated the reference is given on page 8 Yagisawa-san which is about 40G compact TOSA with driver
    - Mori-san said this is an internal data not published
    - Frank said this came from Ref 1 on page 11 Toifl ISSCC 2007, but Ref 1 only implement de-mux and he argues if
    you can do a de-mux you can certainly do a mux.  Ref 1 when Anrtisu 40G BERT output was applied to the de-mux input had
    11 ps error free window, with a realistic transmitter error free window without optics might even get negative!
    The authors in this paper are doing leading edge research and I wish they get more support so they can continue their research.

Since I was just asking a technical question on traverso_02_0708 content I am not going to get into a marketing pitch for 4x10G
or against serial 40G!

Thanks,
Ali

Matt Traverso wrote:
Ali,
   I'm sorry for my error on the reference -- I do resent the implication that my mistake might have been committed in earnest.

Frank,
   I think Ali was attempting to lead us down a rat-hole here.  The key points in our message are:
- Serial is the lowest cost in the long term
- Serial is technically feasible today
- Serial can be made low cost with the first generation of parts thru (a) 1310nm EML, (b) XLMD MSA, (c) minimization of costly RF interconnects (integrated packaging), (d) lack of non-recoverable engineering investment required to build integrated optics for multi-lambda solution, and (e) simpler assembly
- Serial can move to CMOS for low power soon
- Serial can move to low cost RF interconnects -- more detail to be presented in Korea

Colleagues,
  I still believe that the IEEE would be best served with a 40GbE 10km SMF objective.  I recognize that we seem to be split.  I do not want to see the IEEE burdened with a PMD that has such a limited life/application as the 4lambda CWDM proposal.  I look forward to our discussion in Korea.

sincerely
--matt